That plant ended up producing tons of good-sized peppers for us, and it developed a thick stalk that supported its burgeoning leaves. It shouldn’t have survived at all, especially after we decided to leave it where it was rather than procuring another container so we could relocate it across the yard.
But on October 22, when I started cleaning up for the season, it was one of the first plants I had to pull. Recent rains had made the ground soft, so the roots gave way easily. Without further ado, I used our garden shears to clip it up into a bunch of pieces so it would be more easily disposed of.
Poor pepper plant. It doesn’t seem fair that it should have come this far only to end up in a pile of pieces on the ground.